I’m not the first to make a vegan “cheesecake” using cashews, but this is a super yummy dessert that my family absolutely drools over! This is also Paleo friendly, and a great way to get in your healthy fats!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup finely shredded coconut flakes
- 2 pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp salt
Blend coconut flakes and dates in food processor until smooth. the coconut flakes should be blended to a fine meal. Transfer mixture into a bowl and set aside. Blend almonds, walnuts, and salt in food processor til a fine meal (don’t let it turn into nut butter!) Combine mixture into the coconut flakes and dates, mixing well. Press crust into a greased 8×8 pan using fingertips. Let set in freezer while making the cheesecake filling.
The Cheesecake Filling:
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked in water 4hrs)
- 2 tbs vegan palm shortening or coconut oil or grass fed butter (I like the creamy consistency of the palm shortening or butter best)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries ground into a powder (or fruit of choice! this would be wonderful with blueberries or raspberries!)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
Strain the cashews out of the water, then combine all ingredients into food processor. Blend until completely smooth and creamy . Pour filling mixture over crust, smoothing with a spatula. Set cheesecake in refridgerator for 2-4hrs before serving! This is even yummy when frozen!
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1-3 tbs honey
- 1/2 tbs arrowroot powder
- dash salt (this makes it taste sweeter)
Pulse in vitamix or food processor. Be careful, this sauce is better when left a little chunky! Slice and serve with drizzle!