I’m a coconut lover, my husband is a coconut lover, this pie gets a lot of love in our home! This is also a dessert that can be enjoyed for breakfast! Clearly I like dessert for breakfast… but who wouldn’t?! For the crust, there is an egg free version. Since the coconut filling HAS to be made with eggs, this is clearly not a vegan recipe. However, if you want to get the nutritional benefits of flax seeds, try the egg-less crust!
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 egg (vegan- 1 tbs ground flax+2tbs warm water)
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (1/3 cup if using vegan flax egg)
- 1/2 tsp salt
Mix well, press into greased 8×8 pan. Chill in refridgerator while preparing coconut filling.
- 1 cup unsweetened small shredded coconut flakes
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1 cup coconut sugar, rapidura, or maple sugar (must be a dry sugar)
- 3 tbs coconut flour
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 3 tbs melted coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coconut flavor
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Soak the coconut shreds in the milk for 1hr prior to making. Mix together all ingredients except melted coconut oil. Using high speed mixer, slowly add the coconut oil (or butter) until completely combined. Fold in coconut shreds. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust, Bake 375 for 40-50min. When done, the pie may still look wet. This is normal. Cool for 15min room temperature, then transfer to refridgerator and let set for at least 1hr. Best if let set 3hrs. Serve cold with coconut whip cream!