Most of my baking is done for my husband and kids, so whenever there is a recipe approved I hurry to write it down! Chris is a fan of chewy soft chocolate chip cookies. These are more the consistency of a soft shortbread cookie, and he absolutely loved them!! Don’t want the calories of chocolate chips? Take em out and you’ve got a delicious protein shortbread cookie! That’s what I did for myself 😉 This recipe is quick and easy, all mixed together in one bowl!
(no chocolate chips)
Makes 12-14 cookies.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder (I used brown rice protein, choose a powder that tastes creamy and not too healthy. Use pea protein powder for Paleo)
- 1 egg (or vegan 1tbs ground flax/ground chia + 3tbs warm water)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil softened
- 3 tbs maple syrup (mine didn’t need much sweetener since my protein powder already is sweet)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350. Whisk together wet ingredients, except coconut oil. Slowly add in dry ingredients mashing together with a spoon. Once it’s well combined, add in your softened coconut oil. Should be slightly crumbly in texture. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, roll cookies into balls and then press to flatten onto sheet. Cookies will stay the same shape and density so shape them as desired. They will not expand, and only rise lightly.
Bake 10-15min. You can make these a crunchy shortbread cookie if you bake 15min. 10min keeps them still soft, which is what we preferred. Enjoy!